AWAKENING TO THE WILD: A COURSE IN LIBERATION THROUGH MINDFULNESS PRACTICE
A SIX WEEK COURSE WITH
THE OPTION OF A RESIDENTIAL TWO DAY RETREAT IN THE ABERDARES OLD GROWTH FOREST 27-29 MAY.
APRIL 23rd – JUNE 4th 2022
Sessions Two Hours on Saturday mornings at Kanga Studio, Loresho, with the two day silent retreat on May 27-29 returning from Aberdares Sunday 29th. The final session is on June 4th which closes the course.
The retreat is optional and not included in the course fee. For details please see the web page: NATURE RETREATS.
Facilitated by David Beatty
This course introduces both formal and informal practices established in the Foundations of Mindfulness Course. While these practices are fundamental to establishing mindfulness the course encompasses a broader perspective, not limited to simply
reducing stress, but to awakening the heart-mind towards liberation from the roots of egoic suffering. Only by engaging in person and being present in live sessions can we find refuge in genuine peace and compassion to enable our lives to be re-oriented in
a holistic way, and to contribute in however small a way towards a new liberated consciousness expressed as creativity, social coherence and love.
Many are suffering from a growing multitude of pressures not only
of daily life disrupted by a global pandemic, but also the fears and anxieties associated with destructive military conflicts, economic instability, toxic competitiveness, political mayhem and the unpredictable impacts of climate mutation. In the process there
is a harmful level of depersonalization and dissociation that results in a lack of the quality of care in the deep sense: care for others, care for the earth.
Mindfulness in its foundational form is aimed at liberation
from conflictual states and from identification with the limited forms of social, cultural and historically determined signifiers that veil the true nature of the awakened self. The practices are aimed at establishing a sound foundation for re-appraising our
lives, finding a sense of common ground in community, and aligning our deepest humanity towards taking appropriate steps towards shifting, inwardly and outwardly, both attitudes and structures in society to meet the extreme challenges we face locally and globally.
While the aim is to explore the human problematic at the deepest personal level that does not mean that the practices we engage with cannot be enjoyable, or even joyous, as we give ourselves the opportunity to share our concerns in the open space of a loving
Some of the things you will learn on the course:
- How the practice of mindfulness can be directly applied to simple everyday tasks, such as eating, and address the addiction cycle.
- The ethical basis as an important component of mindfulness practice, not as a set of rules but in terms of relationship, and the psychology
of intentions and their consequences.
- The crucial differences between empathy and compassion.
- The importance of embodiment: bringing mindfulness into your relationship
with your body.
- The importance of Feeling Tone., and the relationship between thought and feeling.
- How the brain constructs your experience, the neurobiology and psychology
of pain and fear.
- Understanding impermanence and the role this plays in developing insight.
- Mindfulness in relation to illness, ageing and death.
- The course will finish by exploring how mindfulness and insight can help us meet a world subject to disruption, and assist us in engendering non-linear responses as a way of nurturing Radical Hope in the face of uncertainty.
Join us for this intensive course to rediscover your sources of true creativity and common humanity, and to awaken to the wildness within, the fearless non-conformist self where your true nature lives. The six sessions
of formal and informal practice will be a preparation for the optional retreat held over two days at the Aberdares Forest Retreat Centre. There we can deepen our practice with silent immersion in the natural environs of an old growth forest.
COURSE FEE 20,000 KES. You can pay by Mpesa to 0722 599187. You may use the CONTACT PAGE on this site to book or for any inquiries about the course.
you can book online at